Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend, walking at last!

For the last ten years, Memorial Day Weekend has meant camping at the river. This year, we spent the weekend at the river, but we spent it in Nana and Opa's new house instead of pitching a tent. Tom and I went to a wedding in Austin Friday night so Owen had some quality time with Opa and Nana until we joined them Saturday afternoon.

Now that my parents are living at the river full time, dad is getting back to his farm roots. He just bought a new tractor and has spent a lot of time mowing the weeds around the house. Owen enjoyed watching Opa's tractor from the deck.


By Saturday afternoon, Owen had a cough and a fever. After his fever came down with medicine and before Tom and I got out there to see it, Owen took his first real steps for Opa and Nana! I wouldn't have believed it if they hadn't captured it on video. Opa was throwing a water bottle into this cooler full of water and Owen was walking back and forth and laughing at the splash. Thank you Opa and Nana!






Five years ago, Tom and I helped mom and dad plant their first few fruit trees in what we lovingly call the orchard. This year, we really reaped the rewards! The peaches and plums we've gotten from those trees have been DELICIOUS this year. It's a little magical. Owen thinks so too. He has devoured Opa and Nana's crop.




By Sunday afternoon, on Motrin and another antibiotic, Owen was able to enjoy some time at the river with our cousins. FYI, I know how ridiculous this outfit is.



Standard family cookout at the river with the Greinke boys and sweet baby Blake.



And finally, on Monday, Tom and I got to float the river with my mom. Opa and Owen dropped us up river and waited for us at our place, splashing on the bank. The float was AWESOME. The river was moving pretty well and it was a beautiful, relaxing, peaceful, restorative hour of heaven. I can't wait to float again soon. Before Owen, we spent all day at the river all weekend long. Now, I'm happy to squeeze in a few hours each day between naps and meals. It's not as relaxing as it used to be, but I love that Owen gets to spend a lot of time there. The river is my happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment