Saturday, March 24, 2012

Owen's third birthday party

We held Owen's birthday party at Opa and Nana's house on a beautiful, warm, sunny, still March day. Friends and family joined us for an afternoon of play time, tasty snacks (Ellie Krieger layer dip and chips, peanut butter rice krispie treats, applesauce, dried fruit), dinner (hot dogs, sausage wraps, reunion coleslaw, tater tots), and a rocket birthday cake! Owen really enjoyed making and launching rockets at school in January so I decided to give him a rocket themed party and we had a lot of fun with it. Tom even built Owen a giant rocket!




We had stomp rockets in the yard for the kids.  3... 2... 1...


BLAST OFF!!!!


And lots of the usual fun play time at Opa and Nana's.




I usually like to make a homemade dessert, but this year I chose to try for a rocket cake so I started with a box mix and aimed for something vaguely rocket-like.  It was colorful and fun and Owen really liked it.  Lily was up close for all of the action and Owen wouldn't have it any other way.



We dialed Grandma and Grandpa in via Skype for singing and cake.



When Owen gets overwhelmed with his excitement, he starts to smile with this giant, open-mouthed grin that he can't control.  It's so cute.  He was so thrilled to hear his happy birthday song.  He was so happy!



Cora snagged some skype time too.


And we wrapped the party up with a ride out to feed the cows, which is always a hit with the kids.


Owen seemed to enjoy the entire day.  We couldn't have done it without my parents constant help and support.  At bedtime, I talked to Owen about his day.
Tracy: What was your favorite thing today?
Owen: My birthday party.
Tracy: What was your favorite part?
Owen: My cake.
Tracy: What did you not like today?
Owen: I liked everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment