Thursday, April 29, 2010

Words and signs

Words

Owen's first sound was "da" and he uses it ALL THE TIME. For a long time, it was all he would say. "Da da da da da daaaa da da daaaa..." "Da" is still his most frequently used syllable, but he now uses with emphasis when he sees Tom, a dog, or a duck (he loves his rubber duckies in the bath).

O didn't use an "m" sound at all until about a month ago and as soon as he made his first "m" sound he started saying "mama" pretty quickly. And I WORKED for that one. I sing an "m" song that makes no sense, but is full of "m" words (I know my mama loves me. She makes me milk and mangoes. And macaroni meatballs, etc.). And I say "mama" A LOT.

O also learned "nana" a week or two ago. I think he knows that "nana" means his Nana...

Owen just woke up from a nap and is playing music and talking to himself in his crib. I am listening to "da, nana nana nana na, mama, da da da daaaaaaa da, nana, mama, da da da daaaaaaaaa."

Signs

The "please" sign is a hit with Owen and he uses it for everything. He makes a little fist with his right hand and urgently points at his chest when he wants something to eat, something to drink, someone to pick him up, a toy, to swing... He waves his fist like mad when we walk by the swing without putting him in it. He knows what he wants!

Please

Thank you!

I think Owen also knows the sign for fan now. He points at fans all the time and the sign is a pointed finger moving in a circle like a fan so it's not much of a stretch, but I cold be imagining it.

No comments:

Post a Comment