Owen has inherited Tom's excitement about hockey and it has turned into a bit of an obsession. During the NHL playoffs, Tom started letting Owen watch hockey games or highlights from the day before at bedtime instead of reading books. Tom looooves hockey and now Owen does too. Years ago, Uncle John and Aunt Molly gave Owen a toy hockey net and sticks that we play with in the playroom. It has always gotten a lot of use, but Owen's interest has really intensified lately. Any time we're home with time to play, you can hear Owen in the playroom saying things like...
"Score! Buffalo Sabres scored a goal!"
"Dallas Stars goalie can't stop the shots!"
"I got checked and I didn't have the puck, that's a penalty, right Mommy?"
"Watch this replay, Mommy!"
"The Buffalo Sabres goalie saved it!"
"Good shot!"
"I made a diagonal shot, right Mommy?"
You might have noticed that Tom has taught Owen that the Buffalo Sabres (Owen called them the Buffalo Savers for a while) are the good guys and the Dallas Stars are the bad guys. This all goes back to the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals and it's a permanent fact in our house.
A few weeks ago, Tom bought Owen an on/off ice hockey stick and they've been playing hockey in our garage and in the driveway and barn at Mom and Dad's house. I am not a hockey fan, but I can see how much fun Owen is having so I'm along for the ride.
Tom has now taken Owen ice skating twice and even though he struggles to stay standing on the ice, Owen is wanting more. Owen will start "Hockey Learn to Skate" classes this weekend. He'll be out there in his bike helmet and "Cars" elbow and knee pads. Very professional stuff. We'll see how it goes!
Tom showed Owen the traditional hockey picture pose and we asked him to show us his mean face.
First Day of School
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment